Giving Back: Northwood High
Giving back is something we at Briar Chapel feel strongly about. By now, I’m sure most of you are familiar with our more front-and-center partnerships, such as with Abundance NC and Triangle Off-Road Cyclists (TORC), but did you know that we also donate to Chatham County Schools? We recently spoke with a Northwood High School representative who gave us a rundown on the more recent endeavors we have helped make possible:
- Envirothon: Students competed last spring at the state level and one placed! The participants learned a lot about what is needed in preparing for this competition, which will be useful for coming years.
- Earth Science Class Field Trip: The money will be used on trips fall 2016 with Advanced Placement Environmental Science (APES) classes. They have gone to four locations around the community studying a variety of topics (cemetery demography lab, waste water treatment plant, water treatment plant, and the Rocky River.)
- NC Math Competition: Over 40 students were registered for the American Mathematics Competition. They will be using the remainder to travel to NCASA tournaments in the spring of 2016. Go Mathletes!
- The Math Department purchased eight Toshiba Encore2 Write tablets at the end of the 2014-2015 school year for teachers. They are really excited about using this resource to enhance student learning.
- The Citizen Science Project and the Rocky River Student Club are being combined in order to accomplish the same goal: Get the students involved in citizen science as well as having an opportunity to learn more about the river. They have had two trips (one each in the spring and fall) to the Rocky River where they monitored the water quality; 63 students participated over the two trips! They also got a nice t-shirts printed up for participants. They still have a little money left which they plan to use to fund another trip before the school year ends.