30 April . 2022
Briar Chapel’s Sustainability Update 2022
The Briar Chapel community was crafted around core principles of sustainability. When planning the land for the community, we protected species rich areas, preserved almost 900 acres of existing trees, advocated for more trees and reused natural materials from the land for our landscaping.
When building our homes, we were the first community in the Triangle to comply with the rigorous new-home construction requirements and third-party testing of the National Green Building Standard.
Our commitment to sustainability is seen throughout the community, and it continues to benefit our residents. Briar Chapel partners with Southern Energy Management each year to measure the effects of our sustainability on the environment as well as the advantages for our residents and the community. We are excited to share the update from the first quarter of 2022!
The highlights: Lifetime energy savings
- $8.3M cumulative energy savings over the lifetime of community
- 57M kilowatt hours of electricity saved
- 124M pounds of carbon emissions avoided
- 60 lifetime average HERS score
- 82 solar systems installed over the lifetime of community
- 10 homes in community with net-zero electric bills
That’s equivalent to:
- The cost of 409K pizzas from Capps
- The carbon sequestered by 4M trees planted
- The carbon from 3M gallons of gasoline
The highlights: Annual energy savings
- $624 average annual home energy savings vs existing NC homes
- 864 kilowatt hours of electricity saved
- 9K pounds of carbon emissions avoided
- 25% more energy efficient vs NC code home
That’s equivalent to:
- The cost of 26 concerts at Cat’s Cradle
- The carbon from 2K vehicle miles not driven
- The cost of 70 Burgers from Town Hall
What does this mean?
Briar Chapel is one of the largest green communities in the Triangle, and our sustainability continues to improve each year. Since 2020, Briar Chapel’s cumulative energy savings has increased by 25.8%, kilowatt hours of electricity saved by 32.6%, solar systems installed over the lifetime of the community by 10.8% and average annual home energy savings by 2.8%.
Ready to start living green? Explore our green-built homes here.
Located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Briar Chapel offers new homes from the $400,000s. Explore Briar Chapel's resort-style amenities, parks, trails, shopping and on-site schools, a community that has been named Best Neighborhood in Chapel Hill for six years running!
Previous PostNational Wine Day: Places near Briar Chapel to grab a glass of vino
Older Post10 ways to make your home more pet friendly
Want More Information?
- 2023 (7)
- 2022 (27)
- 2021 (18)
- 2020 (74)
- 2019 (67)
- 2018 (58)
- 2017 (62)
- 2016 (19)
- 2015 (12)
- 2014 (18)
- 2013 (13)
- 2012 (65)
- 2011 (52)
- 2010 (43)