17 January . 2011
In The Spirit of Giving
by Kristy B. Yule, MIRM
Regional Vice President Marketing, Newland Communities
Giving back. We see that term mentioned more and more these days. Some people believe that when you are given much, much is asked of you. In these economic times this sentiment rings even more true and that is why I'm very proud to work for my company, Newland Communities. At Newland, the principal of giving back to your local community is taken seriously. And the example starts at the very top with our CEO, Bob McLeod, setting the tone for giving. Newland Communities has a company-wide focus on community outreach that helps children and families in need, supports education and the arts, and champions sustainable development and protecting the environment. For these reasons, earlier this week Bob McLeod received the Hearthstone BUILDER Humanitarian award.
The Briar Chapel team and one of our local non-profits wanted to take the opportunity in our blog today to congratulate our chairman on this amazing honor.
Keith Hurand, senior vice president and division manager Lee Bowman, project manager
Newland Communities Briar Chapel
Al McNeill Tami Schwerin
McNeill Burbank Homes The Abundance Foundation
Briar Chapel is a community where people not only live, work and play but put down roots, build relationships and get involved in a way that creates a better quality of life for themselves, their neighbors and the community at large. Briar Chapel has certainly embraced the giving culture by supporting various local organizations, donating more than $42,000 to the organizations and charities listed below, during 2010. These partnerships brought innovative art, education, environmental and wellness programs and facilities to the residents of Briar Chapel and throughout Chatham County:
- Chatham County Economic Development Corporation - Pledged $100,000 over 5 years. The Opportunity Chatham Campaign seeks to drive and capitalize on the attraction of new business and retention of existing firms in the county.
- Abundance Foundation - Sponsored a 5K race, donating $2,500; additionally, made a $5,000 donation towards the Abundance Foundation's Third Annual Amazing Pittsboro Pepper Festival.
- Woods Charter School- Donated $2,250 to Woods Charter School to apply towards individual student awards and a sustainable program as part of their Earth Day celebration.
- Chatham County Office of Human Relations- Made a $1,300 donation towards student awards for the "Uplifting a Diverse World: Making Our Space a Better Place" student essay competition.
- Triangle Off-Road Cyclists - Partnered with TORC to host the 6BC Endurance Race and 5th Annual Fat Tire Festival, donating $5,500 towards the event and contributing $5,000 to promote local trail projects and education.
- Chatham County Arts Council - Donated $5,000 to cover operational costs, as well as made a $3,000 contribution towards art education programs in the county schools; provided an additional
$4,000 of funding for gallery installations, publicity of artists and quarterly gallery openings held at Briar Chapel.
- Green Home Builders of the Triangle - Funded programs throughout the year in the amount of $5,000.
- Town of Chapel Hill - Sponsored Earth Action Day and awareness of Earth Day activities through a donation of $1,500.
- United Way of Chatham County - Made a $1,500 donation towards Relay for Life in Pittsboro and Siler City; also contributed $1,000 towards an annual sponsorship and campaign kick-off.
Briar Chapel residents also donated resources to local organizations, through activities coordinated by Briar Chapel. The Abundance Foundation received more than $5,500 from ticket sales and individual donations during the Briar Chapel 5K, and residents worked with Woods Charter School PTSA to collect food items to go to the CORA Food Pantry.
"Receiving the 12th Annual Hearthstone BUILDER award represents the dedication of our team members in communities across the country who lend their time, compassion and expertise to helping neighbors in need and to strengthen communities," said CEO, Bob McLeod. "Briar Chapel is an excellent example that Newland is truly committed to helping people facing challenges, even during times when we might be facing challenges in our industry."
Thanks Bob, we are inspired by your example and share in your honor - we look forward to a prosperous 2011.
Want More Information?
- 2023 (7)
- 2022 (27)
- 2021 (18)
- 2020 (74)
- 2019 (67)
- 2018 (58)
- 2017 (62)
- 2016 (19)
- 2015 (12)
- 2014 (18)
- 2013 (13)
- 2012 (65)
- 2011 (52)
- 2010 (43)