14 April . 2012
A Way to Celebrate Earth Day: Community Gardens
Did you catch our recent blog, Harvesting Community, where our Briar Chapel Best Buddy contestant Emmo Pike shared a video about the Green Thumb Committee? These individuals are dedicated to keeping things up and running in our community garden, the Briar Patch. Like so many others across the country, the residents at Briar Chapel are reaping the benefits of a community garden, and just in time: it's almost Earth Day!
In honor of our favorite holiday, we'd like to share a few reasons why community gardens are so great for the environment, community and folks just like you! Here's an excellent list from the American Community Gardening Association:
- Improves the quality of life for people in the garden
- Provides a catalyst for neighborhood and community development
- Stimulates social interaction
- Encourages self-reliance
- Beautifies neighborhoods
- Produces nutritious food
- Reduces family food budgets
- Conserves resources
- Creates opportunity for recreation, exercise, therapy and education
- Reduces crime
- Preserves green space
- Creates income opportunities and economic development
- Reduces city heat from streets and parking lots
- Provides opportunities for intergenerational and cross-cultural connections
Feeling inspired? Be sure to check out the Briar Patch this weekend during our Earth Day celebration. Members of the Green Thumb Committee will be at a booth in Briar Commons to answer any of your questions, including Emmo, who is one of the founding members of our garden. She recently professed her love for Briar Chapel on her blog, greenchathamliving.blogspot.com, and we're sure she'd love to share even more reasons why she loves Briar Chapel with you.
We can't wait to see you there!
Previous PostMorningStar Homes Was Perfect for These Homeowners
Older PostFullsteam Brewery, Plow-to-Pint
Want More Information?
- 2019 (61)
- 2018 (58)
- 2017 (62)
- 2016 (19)
- 2015 (12)
- 2014 (18)
- 2013 (13)
- 2012 (66)
- 2011 (52)
- 2010 (43)